When and how do you validate forms in a usability perspective? — on Quora
Preferably: Immediately (but that’s not always feasible), so …
- Validate the form When there is a NEED
This is identified in your, which identifies paths and dependencies.
There are points when you can’t – or shouldn’t – proceed until you have first “taken care of business”.
An accurate Workflow and coherentare essential to good design.
A usability consideration is, of course, delay. No one wants to wait around while you do your homework.
- A possible solution is to do your validation ‘in the background’, while the audience is busy doing other things. This reduces the perceived inconvenience.
As for How to do validation: That’s not really an issue for usability. Here are a couple of usability-related issues:
- Provide your audience with some useful Transparency on the process (i.e. “This is Why Validation is Necessary”)
- Provide updates on status (i.e. “You are currently [ at this point in the process ]. You’ll be ready in about 2 minutes.”)
- Allow your audience the ability to quickly self-educate on the topic (i.e. “More on Validation …”)
One of the ways to both inform & entertain is to present aon the process.
© The Communication Studio LLC